3/14/11

No Need for a Compass

We pretty much knew we were going to get married. No question about it. Sure we had our doubts and were as nervous and happy as could be, but what madly in love couple doesn't go through that?
Stewart Falls, Sundance, Utah
January 23, 2010
 It was a gorgeous Saturday morning. Curtis had picked me up from my sister's house in Springville, and we were going for a drive. Curtis loves to drive around and be surrounded by the mountains, and we had been on many drives before so I wasn't expecting this one to be any different. We didn't make it far up Provo Canyon when he pulled into a little park, and wanted to get out for a walk (again, nothing unusual except for the fact that he was making me walk in about two feet of snow in my tennis shoes). 
We were walking on a bridge over the Provo River when he turned to me, got on one knee (in the snow), pulled out a little box, opened it, and asked, "Avery will you marry me?"
Without any hesitation, I was all smiles and ALL yes's. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, just not when it did! Pure joy, happiness and love. That's all could feel at the moment. Life is wonderful.
Inside band: Past * Present * Future
And then came the wedding plans... Wedding plans... I've never planned a wedding before! I didn't know what to do, what I needed, what was proper, what were the traditions, anything! I was at a loss. Thankfully I had taken that semester off and had found a couple jobs as an on-call Springville school crossing-guard (it wasn't as fun as it sounds), and at the Quality Cleaners Dry Cleaning. So without school, all I had to worry about was making money for the wedding and actually planning the wedding. Several times I was ready to give up and just have the reception in someone's garage, but my lovely sister pushed me onward. Meanwhile Curtis was just as stressed as I was, without a job, going to school, and me not leaving him much time for studying. It was the longest three months of my life! The temptations were getting harder and harder, but we kept each other strong.
We decided on May 1st 2010 (figured it would be easier for him to remember for anniversaries). We would be married in the Mt. Timpanogos Temple at 9 in the morning. The colors would be Dark Brown and Sky Blue, the reception would be in Heber, we were going to wear our Chacos with my dress and his tux, and it was Oceanside, California for the honeymoon.
I took our own engagement pictures (either I'm so clever, or just so cheap :)). Center pieces were flowers in hiking water bottles, with leaves, pine cones, and pictures of us hiking (arranged by Curtis's sisters and mom). There were plain Christmas trees all around to give the foresty look. There was trail mix, a chocolate "waterfall", and the cake (made by my sister) looked like a cupcake mountain with Curtis and I in our hiking backpacks at the peak.
Fixing our future bedroom
We had our showers and parties, and got our haircuts and. Found Curtis a tux, and I had my dress dry cleaned for free. We finished sending out announcements, and gathering the last details for the reception. The week before the big day I was able to go to the Provo Temple with our families. We had a place to live after the honeymoon, thanks to Curtis's sister and her husband. All of my siblings were together in the same place for the first time in who knows how long. I had all of my things packed. Everything was just about as perfect as it could be.
April 30th came, and I could not sleep that night. Then I woke up 20 minutes before my alarm went off, and still managed to arrive at the temple 15 minutes late. I was so nervous, but as soon as I saw Curtis all I felt was a peaceful, warmth. This was where I was supposed to be, and who I was supposed to be with.
The rest of that day was all just a blur to me, like a dream. Sometimes it felt as if it never happened, then I look at the pictures and get all giddy inside having that glorious day be confirmed again in my mind. I had just been sealed, for time and all ETERNITY, to the most amazing man ever.

As hard as it is to believe, the trail gets even better up ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment