5/9/11

Reaching a Summit

During one of my first contractons
I can't say I have arrived at the summit, but I can say that I've reached a summit on this long mountain range of my life, along with all of the other happiest moments of my life. Wow is really the only word that sums everything up. But that would be one boring post now wouldn't it? Birth is an awesome event. In just a matter of seconds a woman becomes a mother after months of waiting. I was lucky enough to find a midwife and to be able to have our son in our very own home. No stubborn doctors, IVs, unwanted visitors, distracting monitors, drugs, nothing. Just as natural as it should be with me, Curtis, and the midwife. I would never want to do it any other way.
It all started going down during the last hour of our church meetings (1:30pm). My lower back was killing me and I really had to use the restroom. We finally got home at 2:15 and I immediately had Curtis give me a massage, but that didn't help. The pains started coming and going about every 5 minutes. I tried taking a warm bath, no help. Doing pelvic rocks on my hands and knees, nothing. I wasn't feeling any abdominal pressure so I didn't think I was going into labor. But I called my midwife, Donna, and told her what was going on. She told me to start timing the how far apart the pains are and how long they last, for another 30 min and call her back. 4 minutes, 30 seconds long. 3 minutes, 30 seconds..... 5 minutes, 45 seconds long, and then all of a sudden they were happening every 2 minutes, and lasting 50 seconds. That's when the abdominal contractions started happening. I reported back to Donna, who already knew I was in labor and was on her way over. Not knowing what to do with myself, I started texting my sister-in-law in between contractions, then sit hunched over on the bed during contractions. Meanwhile Curtis prepared the baby's room.
Donna and her assistants. Donna is sitting on the birthing stool
Then Donna arrived with her daughter and they started setting up the birthing equipment, putting sheets and pads on the bed, checking me out, and then broke my water. Then I had the urge to push. So they brought out the birthing stool (which kinda looked like a toilet seat lid with handles and legs) and sat me on it. At this point the contractions weren't too bad. They hurt, but I mean I could make conversation and was aware of everything around me during a contraction. I had heard women say how the contractions were the worst part, so I felt prepared for anything else this baby could dish out. Was I wrong, or was I wrong?! That's when the back pain started to really kick in, and I felt like if I moved I would break, and the baby would slip out of me... if only. Since I wouldn't let Curtis go anywhere, Donna had him start the camera, rub some pressure points to help my back, and hold my hand.
So contractions came and went, and baby got closer and closer as I pushed. When the baby started crowning Donna let Curtis and I touch his head! It was so cool! I actually forgot about the pain for those few seconds. From what I remember, I held it together pretty well. Through the contractions, the back pain, the burning sensations, and gritted teeth, I let out a couple squeals, said a few 'ouches', 'holy cows', one 'crap', and at one point I even started laughing.
Who knows what time it was, but it sure seemed a lot shorter than 3 hours. Donna was down on her elbow applying pressure to help prevent me from tearing, when more water gushed out right into her face! I said "Oops, Sorry!" Not being able to see, she turned for second to wipe off her face, turned back, and a couple more seconds later, out popped a blue baby, with his cord wrapped around his leg.
All of a sudden I couldn't feel the pain. I could see my baby! I could hear my baby cry! And after transferring me from the stool to the bed, I got to hold my baby. While Donna took care of his blueness and fixed me up, I was looking into my baby's eyes, which were calm and alert. The most amazing feeling ever; being the mother of a child of God, and you being the very first person he sees when he opens his perfect eyes. Everything at that moment was perfect and complete. I had my son in my arms, and I was in the arms of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment